Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Epiphany...big word for me...

Who knew I'd actually start reading...for fun...and not just comics?

I'm currently reading Blue Like Jazz (by Donald Miller). I'd be interested in any comments that anyone has about the book. I've read the first 10 chapters so far, and there have been a few lines in the book that have really stuck.

"Passion about nothing is like pouring gasoline in a car without wheels. It isn't going to lead anyone anywhere."

"...what I believe is not what I say I believe; what I believe is what I do."

Both of these quotes are on page 110 in the book. It's always interesting to have the epiphany of realizing people in our lives actually teach us things, and show us things we never would have had exposure to without them crossing our path. Even though it is tough to have friends come and go, it's always fun for me to realize what they have shown me, or taught me, or even just allowed me to see in myself, that wouldn't have been learned or noted without them.

It's always tough for me to put into practice what I believe. In the book Miller gives a great example of a friend of his that believes we should feed the homeless. He believes this and confirms it by actually going out, and feeding the homeless at least once per week. I would agree with the statement that we should help feed the homeless, give them shelter and get them off the street. I can't remember the last time I actually did anything to help the situation. There are many more examples of this in my life.

Passion is also something I believe I have a lot of. Who knew you actually should be passionate about SOMETHING? I had no idea. It makes sense that passion without something to throw it at is worthless, I just never had it explained that way before. Wrapping my brain around what I am actually passionate for will help me do what I believe.


Good thing about this life is that we are not called to be perfect...if we were, I'd already be toast. This process may be long, but it's always nice to have the light bulb turn on once in a while along the way...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice work, i'm liking the quotes. i wish i was way better about that too. that whole francis quote gets me all the time...(preach the gospel at all costs, and if necessary use words) thanks for the reminder.

amy said...

i always think of this when stopped at a light and a homeless person is asking for money - i always feel uncomfortable, never do anything, but then feel really convicted about it without knowing what the right thing to do would have been....if i was regularly working on doing something to help the homeless maybe i wouldn't feel so bad not rolling down my window (which arguably i shouldn't do as a girl alone in a car.....or should i??)

Kev said...

I think erring on the side of caution is ok in those situations...I agree though, it's tough to know what to do and how to react...something I definitely need to work on.